- About Us
- Courses & Events
- Join Now!
You are hereHome ›
Find a Green Manufacturer - BKIND3
The focus of BKIND3 has been simple; to bring to your home well-styled, affordable seating and enable you to make a conscious choice that is eco- friendly, green, sustainable and safe. Frames are PlyFrame harvested in US SFI certified forests. Seating is made in part with soy-based BiOH polyols. Manufacturing is in North Carolina. Most of the fabrics meet the high standard required under Oeko-Tex® 100, assuring health and safety for you and your kids.
Standard Best Practices
- We pay a living wage rather than minimum wage & we extend that around the globe: Yes
- We have a written Social Equity Code of Conduct as a baseline for employee relations: No
- We have written and distributed a Supplier Equity Code of Conduct for our vendors and conduct training at our partner facilities on the adoption of same: No
- We and our partners meet or exceed all local health and safety codes and can document our health and safety working conditions in all our facilities/stores: Yes
- We have participated in or sponsored in-store, community and/or regional educational events on sustainability and the environment: Yes
- We investigate and mitigate any negative environmental impacts from our operations: Yes
- We regularly ask for verifiable chain of custody documents (legal logging certifications) before buying wood products: Yes
- We are eliminating unsustainable virgin materials from our product offerings while increasing our percents to total of rapidly renewable resources, reused/reclaimed components and recycled content. We factor disassembly, recyclability and product reclamation into buying decisions: Yes
- We have decreased our use/acceptance of known toxic chemicals for treatments, binders and finishes, replacing compounds that harm indoor air quality and are carcinogenic: Yes
- We are asking our vendors for organic cotton in place of conventionally-grown cotton and for textiles that are Oeko-Tex certified: Yes
- We are getting quotes on doing a Life Cycle Analysis and/or are applying for SMaRT certification: No
- We extract, manufacture and distribute for consumer use within a 500 mile radius for at least a portion of our product line: Yes
- We offer a product reclamation/product reuse policy: No
- We use recycled or recyclable packing/packaging materials, offer blanket-wrap transportation arrangements for customers and have a carton return/reuse policy: Yes
- We hold third party certifications for some of our products/as a store, we promote and educate the consumer on the meaning of various third party certifications: Yes
- We take responsibility for sharing our commitment to sustainability up and down our entire supply chain, rewarding our vendors with increased business for partnering with us on this path to sustainability: Yes
- We save reams of paper with our policy expressing an aversion to excess written documentation: Yes
- We have had an energy specialist/utility company audit to measure our conventional energy usage and are on track to reduce it, replacing a portion with certified renewable energy, either directly or by contacting Green e-Power: No
- We have replaced outdated and inefficient equipment, identified and changed wasteful resource procedures and implemented tighter operational controls: Yes
- We have increased the use of daylighting and instituted a fluorescent bulb exchange policy for direct cost savings: Yes
- We make only verifiable sustainability claims in adherence with FTC mandates against greenwash and in support of their Environmental Marketing Guides. Authenticity and adoption of one credible standard reduces confusion in the marketplace, driving sales: Yes
- We conduct training in-house and in the broader community about global climate change and our partnership with the SFC: Yes
- In keeping with our commitment to continual improvement, we are planning to take the following actions this year: On energy consumption: We will continue to monitor all phases of our plants' operations to improve heat consumption, ie: utilizing waste wood to hear our facilities. We have in place a "turning off" policy for turning off lights to conserve energy in areas of our plants that are not being used. We have made an effort to recycle trash by-product, ie plastic bottles are recycled and all paper products are also recycled.
- In keeping with our commitment to continual improvement, we are planning to take the following actions this year: On how we will manage our primary material or service to a more sustainable direction: We are becoming members of the AHMI which is using sustainable hardwoods. We have partenered with our foam supplier to increase usage of soy based material for foam and fiber.
- In keeping with our commitment to continual improvement, we are planning to take the following actions this year: On education and promotion of the sustainability cause: The Sales and Marketing departments will in all sales seminiars continue to inform sales associats and management of "Green and Sustainable" practices,